Every surgery should have good pre-operative work up, a good procedure and a properly done post operative care for it to produce best results.
There are some important guidelines which one should follow to avoid any problem during the procedure.
- If the patient is taking ASPIRIN or other blood thinners then if possible it should be stopped with the consent and advise of a cardiologist at least 7-10 days prior to surgery.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medicines one week prior to surgery.
- One should take their regular anti hypertensive medicine on the day of surgery.
- One should avoid all multivitamins 7 days before hair transplant as these medicines may lead to comparatively increased bleeding during the procedure.
- Smoking and alcohol should be avoided as it may hamper the healing and also may reduce the uptake of the grafts. If at all one can start these around 2 weeks after the surgery.
- Strenuous activity or exercising should be stopped at least one week before surgery. The supplements used in gym should be stopped at least 3 days before surgery. One can start exercising after 2-3 weeks of the hair transplant.
- Use of minoxidil to be avoided 3-4 days prior to surgery.
- One should wear comfortable clothes on the day of the procedure like a comfortable shirt which button downs the front is preferable and T-shirts should be avoided. During the procedure patient is required to change the cloths and put on the hospital gown.
- One should carry loose fitting cap or bandana.
- Preferably one should take his or her regular breakfast on the day of the transplant and patient should be accompanied by someone, as it is not advisable to drive back home due to effect of sedative or local anesthesia.
- Hair color and dye is to avoided at least one week before surgery.
- One should wash the hair properly but the use of hair spray to be avoided on the day of the hair transplant.
- Any infection like cold, cough should be reported to the doctor before hand, if required surgery should be postponed.