Eyebrow Transplant & Restoration
Eyebrow loss, also known as superciliary madarosis. Eyebrows are important facial features owing to its position on the face. As eyebrow hair loss is not conceived as natural hair loss, so it is not considered cosmetically and socially acceptable The eyebrows are two-arched eminences of skin situated above the orbital regions. The hairs of the eyebrows are short, thick and stiff and are set obliquely.
Causes of eyebrow loss:
- Madarosis can affect one or both eyebrows with partial or complete hair loss and it can occur in a variety of medical conditions.
- Nutritional Disorder: Hypoproteinemia, Zinc, Biotin and Iron deficiencies.
- Systemic and Endocrine Disorders: Hypothyroidism, DLE, Scleroderma Alopecia Areata
- Dermatological Conditions: Atopic dermatitis, Seborrhic dermatitis, Frontal fibrosing alopecia, Telogen Effulvium, Follicular Mucinosis.
- Infections: Leprosy, Secondary and tertiary syphilis, Viral infection
- Radiotherapy and chemotherapy
- Certain Drugs
The eyebrows are two-arched eminences of skin situated above the orbital regions. The hairs of the eyebrows are short, thick and stiff and are set obliquely. The eyebrows can be roughly divided into three parts- Medial (near the nose), Middle, Lateral(outer). The direction and arrangement of the hairs are different in different parts.
The medial third is usually below the orbital margin with the hairs in this region oriented vertically. The middle third lies along the orbital margin with hairs oriented obliquely or horizontally. The lateral third usually lies above the orbital margin. Eyebrow hair normally tends to be less dense laterally than medially; thus, hair loss from any cause is apt to be more obvious in the lateral portion.
Points to consider for eyebrow transplant
- Different direction and arrangements of hairs in eyebrow
- Eyebrow hairs erupts at an acute angle from the follicle rather than at an angle of 45 degrees as in case of scalp hairs
- Hair growth cycle is short
- Eyebrow hairs generally tends to be in single strand rather than in 1-4 hair follicular unit.
- Since the hair follicles are taken from scalp for purpose of eyebrow transplant, they tend to grow long and require periodic trimming.